Water Services in Clatsop County

Clatsop County water services update

Water. You need it and use it every day but who is in responsible for making sure it is safe?

The Oregon Health Authority is responsible for ensuring drinking water is safe and for holding private companies, water districts and municipalities accountable and ensuring they comply with applicable regulations.

On behalf of the State of Oregon, Clatsop County takes on a limited role of inspecting local municipal and private water systems and reporting back to OHA. The county also provides technical assistance to local operators as requested. 

We encourage community members to understand where their water comes from, to view online water services testing and violation information, and contact operators or OHA Drinking Water Services with questions and concerns.

4 Ways to Get Water

  1. If you live in a city, you probably are part of a public or municipal system. City employees test and treat your water and maintain the system so it stays in working order

  2. If you live in an unincorporated part of Clatsop County, you may receive your water via a locally elected water district. The district may contract out their water services. 

  3. Private individuals or companies may be contracted to maintain an area’s water system and ensure water quality. 

  4. Private wells

No matter where you get your water from, you can check online to see if there are any water quality alerts by visiting https://yourwater.oregon.gov/


Evergreen Acres Water Services Fact Sheet


How does Clatsop County work with local water system operators and when does the county become a resource to an operator?

Clatsop County Environmental Health is a resource for water system operators. We monitor for water quality alerts, provide technical assistance, and routinely conduct water system surveys.

Depending on what is observed during surveys and investigations, corrective actions and steps may be needed to return the water system to compliance. Typically, corrective actions are taken immediately by the water system operator.

When the Oregon Health Authority determines there are water system violations that have not been corrected, an administrative order is issued requiring certain actions. 

What is an public alert and when is it sent?

If corrective action is needed, OHA generates a public alert to keep our communities safe and informed. Follow-up sampling by the water operator is a fairly common requirement when an alert is generated. 

What issues do smaller community water systems typically face?

Usually small systems are operated by a community member or volunteer.  Outdated water system infrastructure is a common issue with small systems, requiring upgrades and maintenance. Leaks are a common issue in most water systems.

The good news is that the Environmental Protection Agency has earmarked millions of dollars in grant funding to help with the growing need for repairs and upgrades for small rural water systems. 

What resources are available from the state and county?

The OHA Circuit Rider program is available for technical support and troubleshooting system challenges. It is paid for by the Oregon Drinking Water Revolving Fund and is free to operators who can receive up to 10 hours of support per issue.    

County staff is available for support to help answer questions, conduct site visits and surveys, and to provide operators with the support needed to return to compliance.

View All FAQ's