WHAT IS THE TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM PLAN?
The Transportation System Plan (TSP) provides a long-term guide for county transportation investments. The plan evaluates the current transportation system and outlines policies and projects that are important to protecting and enhancing the quality of life in Clatsop County. Plan elements can be implemented by the county, private developers, and state or federal agencies. A TSP is required by the State of Oregon to help integrate our plans into the statewide transportation system.
In 2015, Clatsop County engaged in the process to identify opportunities to improve our current transportation system and develop a fiscally realistic forecast of what it may look like through 2035.
Clatsop County’s Transportation System Planning process included the following steps:
- Setting Goals & Objectives:
Ask the community to identify its needs and how the transportation system might help solve existing problems and shape the way the County looks and works in the future.
- Evaluating Existing and Future Transportation Conditions:
Ensure existing conditions and deficiencies of the Clatsop County transportation system are accurately documented.
Identify and analyze the conditions that will impact Clatsop County’s transportation system in 2035, such as growth and changing demand.
- Developing Transportation Solutions:
Identify evaluation criteria to measure whether projects are appropriate to include in the TSP.
Develop and evaluate solutions and projects for the identified needs of the transportation system through 2035. (The Evaluation Criteria was used to determine the ‘best fit’ transportation system to satisfy the Goals and Objectives of the TSP.)
- Developing a Draft TSP:
Draft TSP, incorporating the solutions and projects that best meet the project goals, objectives, and evaluation criteria.
On October 19, 2015, an official Clatsop County Transportation System Plan was adopted by the Board of Commissioners. This plan consists of 2 documents:
- Volume 1 – The plan (context, process, vision, trends, investments, standards, and outcome)
- Volume 2 – All background memoranda, meeting summaries, and technical data that were the basis for its development.
TRANSPORTATION VISION STATEMENT
The following vision statement was developed by the project team and provides direction for the future of the transportation system in Clatsop County:
All transportation modes flow smoothly and safely to and throughout the county, meeting the needs of residents, businesses, visitors, and people of all physical and financial conditions. Existing transportation assets are protected and complemented with multi-modal improvements. Evacuations and emergency response preceding and following natural disasters are managed effectively.
CLATSOP COUNTY’S TSP GOALS
These eight transportation goals were used to prioritize transportation solutions:
- Goal 1: Provide for efficient motor vehicle travel to and through the county.
- Goal 2: Increase the convenience and availability of pedestrian and bicycle modes.
- Goal 3: Provide transit service and amenities that encourage a higher level of ridership.
- Goal 4: Provide an equitable, balanced and connected multimodal transportation system.
- Goal 5: Enhance the health and safety of residents.
- Goal 6: Foster a sustainable transportation system.
- Goal 7: Ensure that the transportation system supports a prosperous and competitive economy.
- Goal 8: Coordinate with local and state agencies and transportation plans.