Food Service Licensing and Plan Reviews

A screenshot of a food service license application

Food service licenses are required to sell food to the public. Clatsop County is a Local Public Health Authority (LPHA) working under the Oregon Health Authority (OHA). We license restaurants, mobile food units, and temporary food establishments in Clatsop County. Licenses are issued for the calendar year and are not transferrable between owners.

When starting a new restaurant, remodeling an existing restaurant, moving to a new location, or transferring ownership, we require a plan review to ensure that license holders have a plan to mitigate the hazards of their particular food establishment. Most plan reviews are followed by a pre-opening inspection, which allows health inspectors to meet with potential license holders in their establishment and discuss the operation before it is open to the public. 

The Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA) is responsible for regulating the production, processing, and distribution of food products. If your food service plan involves packaging, wholesaling, selling food from a grocery store or convenience store, or selling agricultural commodities, this business would likely require an ODA license. 


How to apply for a license:

It is the responsibility of the license holder or applicant to meet the requirements of all of the agencies with jurisdiction over their establishment prior to opening. See Prior to Opening a Restaurant for more information about the other agencies that should be contacted. 

Please expect 7-10 business days for Clatsop County Environmental Health to complete the review of your application packets.



Mobile Food Units

Temporary Food Establishments